Julia Child's Coq Au Vin Recipe
- 16 Chicken legs and thighs
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 celery stalk, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 dozen pearl onions
- 2 large sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 4 large sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbs. peppercorns (tied in cheese cloth)
- 8 cups of full bodied red wine
- 6 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper
- 24 pearl onions
- 4 ounces of baby shitake mushrooms, sliced 1/2 thick
- 6 ounces of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 4 ounces of button mushroom, capped and quartered
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme or rosemary
Put chicken, carrots, celery, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves and peppercorns into a large pot and cover with cups of wine. Marinate for 24 hours, turning the chicken occasionally.
Strain the liquid and reserve. Pat chicken dry.
Heat 2 tablespoon of butter and add chicken skin side down. Brown chicken on all sides. Transfer chicken to a large saucepan.
Saute vegetables in 2 tablespoons of butter until they start to turn brown. Meanwhile, put the reserved marinade in a saucepan and reduce by half. Add the remaining wine and chicken stock and bring to a slow simmer. Pour over chicken and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Strain chicken, reserve liquid and discard vegetables.
Keep chicken warm in oven and return sauce to saucepan. Reduce by two-thirds (until it has thickened). Add 1 tablespoon of butter and whisk. When the chicken is ready to serve, return Chicken to the sauce and bring to a low simmer.
For garnish, heat oven to 350 degrees. Saute cleaned pearl onions in 1 tablespoon of butter until lightly browned, add chicken stock and cover. Cook for 20 minutes until onions are tender. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a saute pan, until just done. Transfer to a bowl, then saute mushrooms until soft, salt and pepper to taste.
Place garnish on top of chicken, spoon liquid over dish.
Return to Coq Au Vin Recipe
© Cheers-all-Year.com - http://www.cheers-all-year.com